Learn to sew – the basics
from slow bro to sew hero
Its super important to me that you understand the fundamentals of sewing before you get ahead of your self and throw the towel in.
So learn my tricks of the trade and practice with this straightforward project and you can be sewing your own wardrobe in no time.
This class is a one off and all adults and children 12+ are welcome to join.
What will I learn?
In this workshop you will learn the basics of machine etiquette. You will also learn
- how to thread a sewing machine, tension, threading and trouble shooting
- suitable fabrics, pattern placement and layout makings, the grain line and seam allowances
- How to follow written instructions
- How to match seams perfectly and create a box bottom for your bag.
- How to sew a lining, edge stitching and a drawstring closure.
- How to finish your bag with hand sewing techniques if you choose.
It’s no, gathered and floaty 3 tiered dress, but you gotta get that stuff right before we tackle the good stuff.
What do I bring?
We will provide a selection of suitable fabrics for you to choose.
Or bring along
- 50cm of fabric for the outer of your bag
- and 50cm for the lining of the bag.
We recommend light/medium weight woven fabrics including denim, craft cotton, chambray, linen or handmade woven cloth from our floor loom weaving workshop!
Make Town will provide everything else.
Your finished bag will be perfect size for carrying your knitting or holding your sewing accessories.
Honestly it's the best thing I have done in a long time and I think you've started me on a lifelong love of sewing and creating! Thank you :) I'm for sure going to join the cult.
I haven’t had that much fun in a long time! Brooke - your passion and vibrancy was an inspiration, not to mention infectious.
Looks like your cart is empty.
That's ok, we have just the things and workshops to solve that.